
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.
Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.*
----
Amazing. Simply amazing. For starters, it has a really imaginative story line. I mean, how many books have you read about two kids with the same name meeting each other? My guess is not very many.
Also, the characters were super realistic. I really wanted to jump in and meet some of them throughout the entire book. I found myself caring a ton about Tiny Cooper and getting mad at Maura and falling for Will (you'll have to guess which one). There were so many times that I just felt like I was there, a silent observer.*
At first, I was a bit skeptical of how they were going to pull off going from the point of view of one Will to the other and back, but I was really impressed by how they solved it. [One Will had regular print and the other didn't have any capitalization (which was less annoying that it would've thought it would be).] I knew who was talking the entire time, and it was the perfect way to do it.
And anyone who goes to school and has read books knows that what school is like in books is so much different than real school. But, in WGWG, the schools were so realistic. At no point was I thinking, Really? That would never happen in a real school. This is no exaggeration: I literally felt like someone videotaped the going ons and then let John Green and David Levithan watch the tapes and just write what they saw.
Plus it has a cool, shiny cover. At least give it a shot for that. Plus it's partly written by John Green, whom I find to be a genius, both on paper and through vlog.**
I do have two warnings though. (1) The age says 14+, and I want to echo that: ages 14 and over. I can't really say much else about it, other than I would really recommend you to not read it unless if you're at least 14. [13 at the very earliest.] And (2) there is homosexuality. So if you're dead against that or you just don't like it, I wouldn't read it. But, all in all, great book. I totally and completely recommend it.
Rating: 9.8/10
Age Range: ages 14+
Genre: General Fiction/Realistic Fiction
Publication Date: April 6, 2010
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
*summary from back of book
-SilverLining
*I should point out that I imagine what's happening in most books, but in this one, I didn't have to think about it to picture it. It was literally like watching a movie in my head.
**It is at this point that I am obligated, as a Nerdfighter, to refer you to these links: JG's Blog. Vlogbrothers. Nerdfighteria. DFTBA.
Ooh, so glad you liked it :) I've been waiting for my library to get it in for forever!! nice review!
ReplyDelete